If you decide to remain in PERS

If you decide to remain in PERS, you need only complete the Election of Retirement Coverage form and return the completed forms to your Human Resources department.

If you decide to transfer to ABP

If you have decided to transfer to ABP, you must complete the following forms within 90 days (30 days for new hires including part-time lecturers) of receipt of information from UHR.

Step 1: Complete the Election of Retirement Coverage Form

  1. Access the Election of Retirement Coverage Form online and print.
  2. Fill in your name, job title, and employer (Rutgers University).
  3. Under "I certify that I am now a member of," check the appropriate box and fill in your membership number.
  4. Under the "Sign one statement only" section, sign under the appropriate statement indicating your choice to transfer to ABP. Enter the current date. Please note: you must select only one of the investment carriers to receive your PERS (or TPAF) pension contributions, which includes your contributions and any employer contributions. Please contact the investment carrier of your choice to establish an account. Future contributions made through payroll deductions may be invested with any, or all, of the six carriers.
  5. Under "Witnessed by Official," have your department head, business manager, or the person in your department who handles forms/payroll processing sign and complete this section.

Step 2: Complete the Application for Withdrawal

  1. Access the Application for Withdrawal Form online and print.
  2. In upper right-hand corner, write "Transfer to ABP."
  3. Complete Part 1 only. Answer questions 1 through 8. Disregard the balance of Part 1 and Part 2.
  4. Sign where indicated in the bottom section of Part 3.

Step 3: Complete the ABP Enrollment Application

  1. Access the ABP Enrollment Application online and print.
  2. Complete Part I. Fill in your name, date of birth, address, and daytime telephone number.
  3. Complete question 6 as appropriate.
  4. Answer "yes" to question 7.  Fill in either "PERS" or "TPAF."
  5. For question 8, answer "yes."  Fill in "member of PERS (or TPAF)."
  6. Complete the Group Life Insurance section following the instructions on the reverse side of the application.
  7. Sign and date the form.

Step 4: Complete the Carrier Allocation Form/Salary Reduction Agreement

  1. Access the Carrier Allocation Form/Salary Reduction Agreement online and print.
  2. Fill in your name, work telephone number, department, email address, and campus.
  3. For Type of Activity, check "New Enrollment."
  4. For Vesting Status, check "I am vested."
  5. Indicate the percentage (whole number) of ABP payroll contributions for each carrier you are investing with.
  6. Indicate if you wish to tax-defer voluntary additional contributions above your mandatory 5% employee contribution.
  7. Sign and date the form.

Step 5: Complete the Investment Carrier Enrollment Kit

  1. Contact UHR at 848-932-3020, or via email, to have the carrier enrollment kit(s) for the investment companies you have decided to invest your retirement contributions with mailed to you. The kit(s) may also be picked up at UHR in ASB II, G.H. Cook Campus. You may also contact the carrier directly to request that an enrollment kit be mailed to you.
  2. Complete the enrollment forms and mail the originals to the individual carrier. Include a copy of each enrollment form with your ABP Enrollment Form and Carrier Allocation/Salary Reduction Agreement and return the completed forms to your Human Resources department.